Q: I would like to know if Halal nail polish is permissible to use and will the wudhu be valid whilst wearing the polish?
A: It is permissible to use nail varnish/polish if the following conditions are met;
1. The ingredients do not contain any impurity
2. It is used as beautification for the husband
3. It is not displayed to non-Mahrams.
4. If the substance is non-porous then it must be removed at the time of Wudhu and Ghusl
5. It is not used to deceive or create a false impression.
We cannot comment on the Halal status of any particular product.
However, any substance that is applied to the nails or any other body part whose washing is compulsory, then for Wudhu or Ghusal to be valid whilst having this substance on it must be of such a nature that that it is fully permeable.
Hence, if the nail polish is proven to be permeable and porous by reliable scholars, then it’s removal will not be necessary for Wudhu or Ghusl. However, since this is a matter of Ibadat we suggest that precaution be exercised.
And Allah Knows Best
Darul Ihsan Fatwa Dept.