A: The nature of modern computer games is one that absorbs and engages a person in such a way that makes him oblivious and neglectful. Scientifically many harms of video games have been established. Spiritually the valuable asset of time is usurped in this pass time. Islam permits a person to engage in permissible relaxation and refreshment of the mind. The following are amongst the many vices and harms contained in video games;
2. Animate pictures - some of which are lewd and immoral. Some games like soccer contain the exposing of the satr (like the thighs) which is impermissible.
3. Some games contain un-Islamic material themes of disbelief.
4. The element of addiction leading to neglect of important duties like Salah and call of one's parents
5. Obsession with games leads one to become anti-social, disrespectful and possible violation of rights.
6. Competing in games leads to arguments, fights and animosity .
7. Some games promote the theme of violence, obscenity, abuse, vulgarity and anti-Islamic content.
8. Some games contain elements of gambling and chance, casino games where interest and usury transactions are simulated.
9. Serious health hazards like epilepsy, eye and brain defects have been associated with such games.
There are many more side effects and problems with the current trends of games that children are exposed today. In light of the serious physical, spiritual and social harms these games are strongly discouraged and undesirable. Parents and families should seek alternate means of healthy recreation for the children that will benefit their upbringing.
If a game does not contain any prohibited aspect and is played purely for relaxation, entertainment, or perhaps even education, whilst it may not be deemed impermissible it should be done in a controlled and supervised manner.
And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best
Shafiq Jakhura (Mufti) M.D. Mangera (Mufti)
Fatwa Dept. Fatwa Dept.