The Quran says: “And eat and drink but do not be extravagant. Certainly He (Allah) does not like those who are extravagant.” (Surah Araf)
In another verse the Quran states: “Verily, those who waste are the brothers of the Shayateen.” (Surah Isra)
At such functions we can spare a thought for the needy and avoid waste and extravagance.
The following are some suggestions:
- Do not be extravagant in food preparation, or when ordering or hosting a meal.
- Only take that quantity of serving that you will be able to consume.
- Do not overfill your plate and waste half of it - this is contrary to the Sunnah of eating.
- Leftover food should be appropriately packed and given to those who would appreciate it.
- Be grateful for the bounties of Allah Ta'ala and avoid wastage, at all costs.