Rasulullah (ﷺ) would ask Allah for beneficial knowledge, and he (ﷺ) would seek protection against knowledge which is unbeneficial.
For knowledge to be beneficial, it is essential that the etiquette of seeking knowledge is observed, together with hard work and diligence.
Some guidelines for seeking beneficial knowledge are as follows:
1) Correct Intention – Develop and adopt sincerity by seeking knowledge for the pleasure of Allah Ta’ala and use the acquired expertise to serve the creation.
2) Respect – Show utmost respect to one’s teachers, colleagues, staff of the institution and the various means of acquiring knowledge e.g. being obedient to their instructions, caring for learning material, equipment, etc. True success cannot be achieved without respect.
3) Be of service – Assist one’s teachers, mentors and anyone who benefits you in your quest for knowledge.
4) Good company – Surround yourself with people who will support and motivate you - avoid bad company at all costs.
5) Good habits – avoid gossip and prying into the affairs/matters of others – eat moderately and healthy. These 2 attributes are essential for a student.
6) Dua – Regularly make dua for beneficial knowledge and for all who facilitate this great bounty for you.
May Allah Ta’ala grant all learners beneficial knowledge and acceptance to serve humanity.
Darul Ihsan Centre